Sunday, November 16, 2008

what a wonderful weekend!

hookay, so-
lots of good stuff to write about tonight. had a busy, wonderful weekend. but first, go back in time with me to thursday night. our art event was Radio Macbeth- a unique version of Shakespeare's tragedy, performed by actors as if they are rehearsing for a radio production of the play. but they end up "haunted" or something by the accursed play (for those who don't know, it's widely believed to be bad luck to say the name of the play in a theatre, or even to perform it in some cases. very interesting theories- check it on wikipedia.)
so here is my response to that:

Radio Macbeth. It was a lot different than I expected it to be, but I thought it was brilliant. I'm not entirely sure what was happening all of the time, but that is okay. It was an interesting concept, a little confusing for those who don't know the story of Macbeth. But I loved it.
The only thing I found frustating was that after reading reviews, I expected more of the "hauntedness" to be apperent and obvious. It was strange, and I'm not sure I would catch it if it hadn't been for the reviews. As it is, I'm not sure I'm correct in my thinking. But the way I saw it was that the radio actors were becoming too much the characters they were acting, and their actions in the recording studio were following too closely the story of Macbeth. That's how I understood it, at least.
I loved the beginning when it was obviously rehearsals, and they weren't "acting" Macbeth yet. so well done. I wonder how hard it was to do, if it got confusing for the actors. Because they weren't acting Macbeth. They were acting actors acting Macbeth. They had to be two characters at once!
And the way it ended, so powerful, so emotional, so intense. I was on the edge of my seat. The scene with Macbeth and Macduff and the chairs- loved it!
Overall, this is one of my favorite events. A little unconventional, but it's still Shakespeare. And the actors were all so talented! It made me want to reread Macbeth.
-------------------------------------------
after the play, me, whitney, pam, and mike went to see the midnight showing of james bond: quantum of solace. of course, we were rediculously early, so we went to walgreens and bought candy, which we smuggled into the theatre. still very early, but that was a good thing cause the theatre filled up fast, and we got to be nerds for a couple hours. it was a good movie, and we had fun.
whitney and i slept a couple hours, and then hopped on a plane to omaha, where my darling future roommate dana picked us up and drove us back to orange city. got to see most of my friends, got squealed at a lot, a lot of double takes, promises to never let me leave. it was kind of wonderful. if you ever question your significance, leave for a couple months and then show up randomly one day to get people's reactions.
got to spend lots of time with dana, hannah, and sylvia. saw my sister and grandma. ate chinese with kent and crystal, and it was like old times. went to see quantum of solace (yes again) with drew david. pretty much attacked tucker when i saw him. made fun of ben bees for breaking his leg, but hugged him extra hard to make up for it.
got to see terror texts twice! moshed both nights. and it's amazing. i absolutely love it. if anyone in tpe is reading this, you all did amazing and i'm so glad i splurged on that plane ticket. little sister and friend, and grandma also loved it! so you should all be proud. you really did wonderful work. *go light crew*
now i'm back in chicago, catching up on all the stuff i have to finish for this week. it's weird. i kept telling everyone how much i love chicago and how i can see myself living here in the future, but it felt so good to be back at northwestern, in the openness of a small town, with lots of space and no tall buildings, on familiar territory. where the stars are visible and there are leaves to kick in the fall. i do still love chicago, but going back reminded me of why i don't like cities in general. i guess i'll have to balance that out when the time comes. live farther away from downtown, near parks and greenness. or become rich enough to have two homes! :)
anyway, it's late. well, sort of. not compared to the rest of this weekend's schedule, but i should catch up on sleep and get back into a regular sleeping schedule!
goodnight

No comments: